garden fence chicken advice

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by linben, Dec 15, 2010.

1. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I have started getting the seed catalogs and must get serious about fencing in the small garden to get ready for spring. Of course, the chickens have it all dug up now. AND, I don't have a lot of money.

Has anyone used snow fence for keeping chickens out or in? Can they fit through the slots easily? It looks fairly easy to put up and cheap overall. More attractive than plastic fencing.

Thanks

2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I haven't used it- but I think it would work fine. Since you have some time, you might put an ad in "wanted" section of craigslist asking for used fencing. Don't forget, chicken wire will work as well. Good luck! Think spring!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Garden fencing to keep chickens out is about the only thing chicken wire is good for!
    [​IMG]

But something nicer looking is that green, plastic poultry fencing, which comes in rolls. Better looking than orange highway fence. Garden stakes can hold it in place.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Yeah, I have a fence around my garden... one of those aluminum pretty fences (craigslist had killer deals, and some of the fence was free).... BUT my silkies could squeeze right through, rabbits too.

So I lighted the bottom by zip tying chicken wire that was 2 1/2 ft tall to the bottom. No more chicken or rabbit issues... just CATS! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by