Garden fertilizer (poo)???

SpikeDmax

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 3, 2010
Oregon
Not sure where to put this so trying here.

I've been collecting droppings and sprinkling it on top of our garden boxes and then mixing it into the soil. Is this a good idea or will it be too hot when it comes time to plant our garden?

Thanks for any info or tips.

How common manures measure up
Manure Chicken Diary cow Horse Steer Rabbit Sheep
N-P-K 1.1 .80 .50 .25 .15 .25 .70 .30 .60 .70 .30 .40 2.4 1.4 .60 .70.30 .90
Sources: Rodale's All-New Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening, An Illustrated Guide to
Organic Gardening, by Sunset Publishing, and the Rodale Guide to Composting.

Note: Nutrient values of manures vary greatly, depending on the diet and
age of the animals, and the nature and quantiy of bedding in the mix.

Chicken manure
Poultry manure (chicken in particular) is the richest animal manure in N-P-K. Chicken manure is considered "hot" and must be composted before adding it to the garden. Otherwise, it will burn any plants it comes in contact with.

Dairy (cow) manure
"Dairy Manure may be the single most useful soil-builder around," says Ann Lovejoy, lifetime organic gardener and writer in Seattle, Washington. "Washed dairy manure from healthy cows is just about perfect for garden use; it can be used as a topdressing and for soil improvement," she adds. Dairy manure is preferable to steer manure, which has a higher salt and weed seed content. Though cow manure has low nutrient numbers, that's what makes it safe to use in unlimited quantities.

Horse manure
Horse manure is about half as rich as chicken manure, but richer in nitrogen than cow manure. And, like chicken droppings, it's considered "hot". Horse manure often contains a lot of weed seeds, which means it's a good idea to compost it using a hot composting method.

Steer manure
Steer manure is one of the old standbys, but it's not the most beloved because it often contains unwanted salts and weed seeds.
Never use manure of meat eaters as fertilizer.

http://www.plantea.com/manure.htm

Last edited:
Quote:
I would like to add that all manure should be composted before using it in the garden.

mdbokc going by your chart you posted rabbit manure is the richest at 2.4-N 1.4-P and .60-K and I would assume that by saying
Never use manure of meat eaters as fertilizer

you would mean Dog's and Cat's..
wink.png

Because Chickens, Bats, some Fish, and some bugs just to name a few are "meat eaters and there manure is good for the garden....

Chris​

Last edited:
Thanks for the information and forgive my ignorance but how does one composite before applying it to ones soil???

Back
Top Bottom