garden for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by marie24248, Apr 26, 2016.

1. marie24248

marie24248 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2016
    What is the best foods to plant in a garden for chickens. We have our garden started for us but I would like to plant some for our new pullets.
    Thanks

2. crumptz

crumptz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Mountain View, CA
    Mine love tomato, broccoli, peas, lettuce.... basically everything that you want, they want too!

3. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    I am planting tomatoes, hot peppers, cucumbers, melon, greens, herbs, zucchini, and pumpkins for my chickens. They'll also get the scraps from some of the other veggies that I planted for myself.

4. Bantambird

Bantambird Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2013
    Montana
    Chickens can pretty much eat everything you do. Except for potatoes. Potatoes are poisonous to chickens!!

5. Jensownzoo

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

Regular potatoes aren't toxic. The toxin you are concerned about, solanine, is really only of a concentration to be concerned about when the skin of the potato turns green (which it does when exposed to sunlight). Never feed potato vines/leaves though. Same goes for tomatoes. The plant itself is toxic, but the ripe fruit is not. Green tomatoes are a bit iffy, having more solanine than ripe tomatoes but less than the plant.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Not true. My birds happily eat leftover mashed taters, or stew, things like that. Mine aren't so hot on the peels, but they've never died from me tossing them in the run.

If you're looking for things to plant for your birds, look at leafy greens and things with seeds inside. Those seem to be the favorites around here.

7. marie24248

marie24248 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2016
    Thanks. Great ideas :)

8. DesiLee13

DesiLee13 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    Kansas City, MO
    I am going to plant a garden area for my chickens. I was wondering if there are different plants that can be planted at different times of the year so the chickens have a garden area almost year around. I plan on leafy green things for them for the spring and summer. I never knew tomatoes could be a problem for them.

9. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Depending on your location/climate you should be able to have plants year round for them, if you wish. I'm growing these for myself but my chickens help themselves to any leaves they can reach: I currently have kale, broccoli (mine love the greens) and chard as my fall/winter plants. You'll have to fence off the plants until they grow a bit, otherwise the chickens will just tear them out of the ground.

10. Jensownzoo

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

They're not. My chickens patrol my large tomato patch and eat all the ripe tomatoes I give them without incident. One of my turkeys actually follows me around while I'm harvesting, purr/trilling at me begging for a cherry tomato.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by