Garden Guineas

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by kristen2678, Aug 17, 2010.

1. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    I'm considering a couple - maybe 3 - guineas for my garden space. I'd love to let the chickens into the garden for bug control, but they would destroy things in no time. Are guineas as destructive as chickens ??

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  2. Quail's Hollar Farm

Quail's Hollar Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    I really hate to tell you this but guineas are a lot more destrucive than chickens, trust me I HAD them before, (notice I said had). Guineas are wonderful birds but they don't belong in the garden.

3. kristen2678

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    Well that's depressing. I was under the impression they were easier on the garden once the plants were established. Bummer.

4. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Once my plants are well established I open the gate and let them have fun catching bugs. I've seen a couple of tomatoes that might have had scars from an inquisitive beak but they left everything else alone. I have never offered my Guineas any treat other than millet so they do not see my garden as a free for all dining experience.

5. kristen2678

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    Thanks Robin. That's what I was hoping to hear. I'm interested in some bug control and I don't mind any poop they may want to contribute. The less I have to shovel, the better.

6. Shiloh Acres

Shiloh Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Mine so far are great in the garden. The plants were already huge though. They don't touch the plants and are good at getting grasshoppers. Mine won't eat hornworms though.

Now, they also come into my one ornamental bed (impatiens) and are now big enough to trample the plants. They also eat the flower buds. Fortunately they don't eat buds in the garden or even scratch out there.

I hope it stays that way. I'd planned on ducks in there but right now the guineas are working. I pulled the geese from weeding out there when they got really big.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by