Garden pictures (lots of pictures)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Southern28Chick, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    We live off of our garden. We only go to the store once a month for a few things, mostly fish since that's the only meat we eat. We also get TP, butter, milk and borax. The butter and milk will come off the shopping list when our goats are old enough to breed and milk.

Anyway here's our garden. I never actually measured it but I would say by looking at it it's about 40'x25'.

We grow:
    Corn (over 150 plants)
    Tomatoes (25 plants)
    Squash (40! plants)
    Zuccini (can't spell that [​IMG] ) (about 20 plants)
    Okra (I love okra so we have a lot of that)
    Cucumbers (maybe 30 or so plants)
    Hot peppers (30 or so)
    Bell peppers (30 or so)
    Pumpkins (DH has a very small pumpkin patch in a different area with 5 plants)
    Eggplant (not many plants, like 6)
    Herbs
    and we have a few Spinach and Broccoli plants left

I have yet to find time to weed so yeah you'll see a lot of grass and weeds in the pictures. The plants got so high that the water out of the sprinkler was smacking them so I raised the sprinklers up with blocks. Hey...it works.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cilantro
    [​IMG]
    Orka
    [​IMG]
    Cucumbers
    [​IMG]
    Squash
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  2. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Can I move in with you?
    What a beautiful garden, and what a setting!
    Your family must be really healthy, too.

3. portlandpeeps

portlandpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Portland Oregon
    that is so great! I would love to be that self sufficient!!

4. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Thank y'all. I almost didn't post pictures because all those weeds are SO embarrassing.

5. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Funny story about how I have so many squash plants. I compost, mostly chicken poop and bedding but I also compost veggies that are near rotten.

When tilling up the garden I adding my compost and tilled that in too. A couple of weeks later DH was commenting on the "weeds" growing in a cluster in the garden. This was before we planted anything. I go and look and say that looks strangely close to either squash, watermelon or pumpkin seedlings. We planted the garden and I left the "weeds"in there to figure out how they got in there. Then the "vine leaves" as I call them started to spout. I told DH they were def. squash...he didn't believe me. He's not much of a gardener. Well I transplanted them to another area and sure nough they are squash.

They must have grown from seeds in the compost pile that survived the entire winter. Funny huh?

6. Poppycock

Poppycock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    Alpine, UT
    Nice garden! We do a garden too, but not so big. I have 4 raised beds but have fenced around each to keep the deer out so I don't have full use of them anymore. I love sending the kids out to gather veggies for dinner - we've been eating radishes and arugula and spinich so far. The lettuce got a slow start but should be big enough to eat in a week or so. Swiss chard too. Thanks for sharing and don't be embarrassed about the weeds - we've all been there!!

7. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    I love your garden it is so awsome!!What do you do with everything you grow? Do you can and freeze? Make pickels? My garden is no where as big as yours, it must be a lot of work, it sure is pretty.

8. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:We eat a lot! [​IMG] I have egg customers that will soon be buying veggies from me as well. I will be freezing and canning too.

9. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    Beautiful garden! [​IMG]

I read in an organic gardening magazine a long time ago that a few weeds in and around the garden are beneficial since they are supposed to attract those bad bugs away from your vegetables.

At least that's my excuse! [​IMG]

10. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:Sounds good to me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by