Garden plants

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Momagain1, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    I have been reading and learning and reading and learning..well, you get the idea...

so, am I correct in undertanding that you should NOT feed the tomato plants/leaves/stems to the chickens?

We were hoping that we could as the plants die off, feed the plants to them as a treat..since they eat all kinds
    of stuff etc..

we have green peppers plants, jalapeno plants (I know lol prob not that), banana pepper plants and tomato plants..

ideas? anything in the garden to NOT feed them?

2. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

3. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Tomato plants are toxic to pretty much any animal, including humans. Any plants from the nightshade family are toxic. The fruit is fine, though.

4. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    Thank You Both!!!

5. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    I bought some more chicken wire. Need to fence in the garden in a couple of months [​IMG]. Going to put down tomatoes and peppers and all the stuff I don't want them to eat, or they shouldn't eat!

6. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    Maybe I should stick to feeding them just the branded chicken food...that list is HUGE for plants..

WHAT am I missing??.

PEACH: (Prunus spp.); seeds; plant is cyanogenetic. (so the fruit is fine; just have to pit the darn thing??)

APPLES (Malus spp.); seeds; plant is cyanogenetic.

APRICOTS (Prunus spp.); seeds; plant is cyanogenetic

CABBAGE (Brassica sp.); leaves; plant is goitrogenic

PEPPER BUSH (Leucothoe spp.); leaves, nectar; cardiovascular and nervous systems affected...unless for peppers; pepper bush is different than a pepper plant??

CHIVES (Allium spp.); bulbs, bulblets, flowers, stems; toxins affect gastrointestinal tract; plant also causes dermatitis.

GARLIC (Allium spp.); bulbs, bulblets, flowers, stems; gastrointestinal tract affected by plant toxins.

Glycine max (SOYBEAN); plant is goitrogenic and may contain toxic levels of nitrates. (seriously; we have a soybean field we were hoping to take advantage of)
    SOYBEAN (Glycine max); may contain toxic levels of nitrates; plant is goitrogenic

RHUBARB (Rheum rhaponticum); leaf blades; plant contains cathartic toxins including oxalic acid.

LIMA BEAN (Phaseolus lunatus); entire plant; plant is cyanogenetic.

ONION (Allium cepa); bulbs, bulblets, flowers, stems; gastrointestinal tract affected by plant toxins; plant also causes dermatitis

PLUM (Prunus spp.); seeds; plant is cyanogenetic

7. DenverBird

DenverBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    West Denver Burbs
    considering all the apples I've fed my hens, especially during the bumper crop last fall, I must be lucky to have them all.

Seriously, though, I think that like a lot of things, its the dosage that makes the difference. I wouldn't feed hens purely apple seeds but haven't had any trouble tossing a couple of apples into the coop or even a couple of cores from time to time. They seem fine to me months later.

-DB

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  8. RHB

RHB Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    [​IMG] On one list is stays to hang cabbage for the birds to play with and eat. On another it states it's not good for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by