Garden question....Whitefly problems

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by holliewould, Jul 14, 2008.

1. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Most of my plants and veggies are in pots. Very few in the yard. Everyone of my plants have whitefly. I have absolutely no clue how to get rid of the boogers. I adjusted a cucumber vine today and I swear it looked like it had a bad case of dandruff. I've tried spraying with soapy water to no avail. Garlic water, sevin, you name it. I've been dealing with this for years. Should I call an exterminator or something?

2. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Our serviceberries get them very badly every year, and insecticidal soap works. Do you use real insecticidal soap, or just plain soapy water?

3. holliewould

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Quote:Just plain soapy water. I've also dusted with Sevin dust time after time. It seems to turn my plants leaves yellow after a day. Do you have a suggestion for a good insecticidal soap? I have a few animals that munch on the leaves.

4. Oblio13

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    The brand name of the one we use is "Safers".

Also, I noticed that you use Sevin dust, as opposed to liquid spray. You'd have much better results with the latter.

5. holliewould

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Quote:I agree, I just have such a huge bag of the Sevin. Can i put the powder in water and use it as a spray? I'm looking for the Safers right now. Also, have you heard that Marigolds could the flies away? I got wind of this rumor and a couple of days ago I planted quite a few Marigold seeds. If anything, I will have pretty flowers I suppose.

6. holliewould

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  7. Oblio13

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Yep, that's the stuff we use. You can buy it at Agway or even places like Walmart, Lowes and HomeDepot.

8. holliewould

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Quote:Thanks for all your help. I snagged it from Amazon. Can't wait to give it a try [​IMG]

9. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    I work in a greenhouse growing hibiscus. We use a granule w/Marathon in it. It is systemic and goes into the plant via the roots.

You can also use Dawn dish soap (we use this in the greenhouse also). Fill up your sprayer with water and put in a good squirt (1-2 oz is plenty). Agitate a bit and spray away. You can also use a Mircle Grow sprayer with hose atatchment and soak them down good. Make sure you get coverage under neat the leaves (favorite white fly roosting).

If you look on the undersides of the leaves (lower) you will see the eggs and puppa (look like small grayish white eggs). Remove any leaves that are heavily infested with the eggs/pupa.

White fly will also leave behind a black sooty mold. The soap will help to wash this off the leaves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by