Garden set up for city chicks

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by dwrigh18, Mar 10, 2013.

1. dwrigh18

dwrigh18 New Egg

Feb 13, 2013
    Salford
    Hi I got two buff sussex a month ago & they're living happy illy in their coop & run (based with wood chips). I let them out in the yard when I'm about but it's a yard ... And mostly concrete except the odd pot & a wheelie bin. Just wondering how best to make my yard more interesting for them. All ideas welcome.

2. chocbantamorps

chocbantamorps Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    Chickens generally perk up when they have food to eat especially when they have to look or scratch for it. Do you have any plants in the yard they can eat? If not, you can plant some seeds ie. lettuce, wild bird seed, wheat or oats (what they use to feed cats) in several plant pots. Plant them a week apart so they always have some greens to eat since they will probably rip the plants out of the soil and then you can replant that pot. Good luck.

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Have you ever thought about growing fodder? It is a great way to a constant supply of healthy greens they can eat and scratch if you do not have any yard space.

4. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    When you mow the front yard, collect the clippings. Pour onto the concrete. They'll have a blast digging through the heap! If your neighbor(s) are out doing the same - ask for their clippings. Only do this if you know the grass has NO pesticides, herbicides or other 'stuff' sprayed on it to keep the weeds away. Those are poisons and should not be included in their diet.

Can also search the forums for 'chicken toys' - lots and lots of good suggestions by lots of folks in your situation or in deep snowy places for wintertime.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by