Garden shed to coop: advice?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SarahLadd, Sep 17, 2018.

1. SarahLadd

SarahLadd Chirping

Jun 23, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hi everyone,

After searching and searching and researching and reading, I am fantastically disappointed to learn that there really isn't any "easy" option for getting my growing number of birds into a better space. They're just not made. So, fueled by frustration, I'm looking at converting my garden shed into a coop. I don't know how it happened, but I just spontaneously came into possession of three adorable new baby chicks :confused::p, but they're getting close to that all-feathered up stage and they're going to have to leave my art studio soon. I'm an awful person and just "assumed" there would be a pre-built option for someone like me, so here we are. I already have two adult hens, so this shed space would need to work for five hens: two orpingtons, a welsummer, an ameraucana, and a wyandotte.

Let me preface by saying that while I am crafty, I am not "handy". I have not put a screw into wood. My husband works 12-16 hour graveyard shifts, and he does not want to do this project, so I am on my own. I just don't know where to begin. I know they need a place to sit to sleep, something to catch droppings, and a place for them to lay eggs. The shed has windows with screens on them, so I have that going for me, but I don't know if more work is needed for ventilation to be right proper.

I have looked at a good number of threads on this site trying to learn what folks have done to make their sheds into coops, but man, everyone has a different shed, and everybody has a different way of doing things. My shed is no different... In fact, in the photos I will attach for perusal, it is in fact only half shed. The other half is a SAUNA (that I don't even use.. it came with the house). Conveniently, that means it's hooked up to electricity, it has its own outlets and lights!

If anything, if I end up trying to hire someone to fix this up for me because I don't have the tools or the courage, I would REALLY appreciate ideas, so that I can tell someone else what goes where, and what I'd need to buy.

I live in Minneapolis, MN.

My deepest and sincerest gratitude toward any and all replies.

Attached Files:

2. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    You are on the right track the shed can you tell me the dimensions it will be easy You can Do this say that three times We will all help

3. SarahLadd

SarahLadd Chirping

Jun 23, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    It looks to be exactly 10 feet by 7 feet, going by the usable floor space.

Thank you!!

4. penny1960

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Oh heck can have 8 in there with the windows now first get to order hardware cloth amazon has the best bang for the buck you will need a few big rolls before done first cover the windows inside but use screws and washers to secure it like 1 inch length
    hex head.. do you have a cordless drill? going to tag another that builds allot alright
    @CapricornFarm

5. penny1960

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    big plan is convert the shed then add a good sized run for security

webbysmeme and CapricornFarm like this.
  6. SarahLadd

SarahLadd Chirping

Jun 23, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    I do have a drill. Do I need to cover the windows with hardware cloth, even if they already have screens for the windows?

CapricornFarm and penny1960 like this.
  7. song of joy

song of joy Crowing

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    A shed makes a great chicken coop with a few retro-fits. I retro-fitted a 10 x 14' coop which houses over 20 chickens. Here are some recommendations that are fairly easy (even for someone like me who is not "handy") if you can use a cordless drill and a paint roller.

* Paint the entire inside with white paint (it looks like the floor of your shed is concrete, so you could skip painting it). This will make cleaning easier, make the inside brighter, and fill in tiny hiding places that mites like.

* Make roost bars out of 2 x 4's. A home improvement store should be able to cut these to the length that you want. Make sure you sand the edges. Do not use treated lumber. Slip the roost bars into fence post brackets (install each bracket with 2 to 3 screws) so the roost bars can easily be removed for cleaning. https://www.lowes.com/pd/USP-Fence-Bracket/3710132

* Install 1/2" hardware cloth on the inside of the windows to keep rodents and predators out of the coop. Use screws and washers as noted by @penny1960

* Install pre-made nest boxes. I really like the metal boxes made by bobbinfull on ebay, as they can be installed with 2 screws. https://www.ebay.com/usr/bobbinfull?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

* Use pine flake on the floor to absorb the moisture from chicken poo.

* It appears that the windows are protected from rain & snow by being positioned under a roof. This will allow you to keep the windows open year-round. Ventilation is key.

* If you're looking for an easy-to-install, reliable, automatic chicken pop-door, I highly recommend the pullet-shut door. Someone will need to cut the correct size hole in the wall of the coop, but after that, it's really easy to install. https://chickendoors.com/ You may want to install the pop-door on the wall that's protected by the roof. This will keep rain and snow from blowing into the coop via the pop-door.

8. penny1960

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Yes I still would coons or weasels can tear out screens this gives the extra protection

9. penny1960

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    the drill lets you screw everything instead of nails that can be pulled out safe, your prefab coop can be used when you have a sick bird or new birds to introduce them

CapricornFarm likes this.
  10. Relleoms

Relleoms Songster

Jan 22, 2018
    Central Iowa
    In addition to what the others have mentioned, I would suggest this heated waterer for winter as well. And it looks like they’ve made significant improvements, including the fact that it can now be hung!

https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/heated-poultry-waterer

Also, drip pans filled with stall refresher/PDZ under the roosting bar will make poop clean up super simple (and easier than building a shelf or tray). I use an extra large cat litter scoop to sift out the solids each day.

https://www.acehardware.com/departm...MIhrTRxcnD3QIVG7bACh1tSQUBEAQYDCABEgLD9PD_BwE

I’m actually kind of jealous of your cute building! We have a great coop, but in hindsight, I would have preferred something similar to your building! Really cute!

CapricornFarm and SarahLadd like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: