Garden Shed Turned Chicken Shack

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pickledchicken, Jun 4, 2012.

1. pickledchicken

pickledchicken Songster

Feb 27, 2012
    Sparta Tn.
    This was my old garden shed and I decided to try my hand at raising some chickens. So far so good still have to build the nesting boxes, but I have plenty of time for that yet.

[​IMG]

The sliding door
    [​IMG]

The fancy door pull
    [​IMG]

Just needs new shingles
    [​IMG]

I used old metal shelving brackets for the tracks on the door
    [​IMG]

The chicken playground
    [​IMG]

The run 20 x 25
    [​IMG]

I'll be cutting away at this in the near future for nesting boxes and easy egg gathering below the windows
    [​IMG]

Cuckoo Marans
    [​IMG]

You go first,,,no you go first
    [​IMG]

Homemade pulley made from an empty teflon tape spool sandwiched between two pieces of plywood riding on a 3/4 " copper coupling
    [​IMG]

The pulley system I have a 2 x 4 at the top for a stop, just pull the rope and tie it off
    [​IMG]

I'll be taking part of this lower wall out and putting in 6 nesting boxes on the outside. The nesting boxes will be about 16" wide as I will be leaving the supporting studs in place
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nesting boxes I hope they don't mind the plastic pans it will make things a lot easier especially cleaning chores
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  2. wow, I think this looks like a nice chicken environment. Especially I like the play ground. Hardware cloth would be best on any opening that a critter could get into like a raccoon. chicken wire keeps chickens inside but not predators out.

You did a nice job. Clever innovations IMO

3. pickledchicken

pickledchicken Songster

Feb 27, 2012
    Sparta Tn.
    Thank You! I do plan on getting some aviary netting. I'm generally home all the time and never to far away. The windows on the coop do have hardware cloth and I'm able to lock it up like Fort Knox in the evening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: