Garden tillers

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by PotterWatch, Sep 7, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I am at the point where my summer garden is just about done and I am ready to pull out all the old vines and plants that have stopped producing and start getting the soil ready for my winter garden. It's a daunting task since I have tons of melon vines in there and no compost pile to put them in. But it needs to be tilled. Luckily, I have great tillers...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They were in chicken heaven! Lots of bugs to scratch up, green stuff to eat. Their crops were hugely full when it was time to go back to the coop this evening. I think putting them in there for a few hours a day for the next week or two should take care of most of my old plants. Hurray for chickens!

2. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I think I should have put this in Pictures/Stories. Could a mod move it please?

3. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Great pics!... they are so intent on enjoying themselves they did not even pose for the camera!!!

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Your hens are BEAUTIFUL>

5. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    How does everyone have gardens and chickens at the same time?
    Don't they go through your fence????

Are my chickens really skinny and able to fit through crevices?

6. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    They were so intent on eating all the good stuff in there, they didn't even think to squeeze through the fence, though I'm sure they could have. The run where they normally are is covered in chicken wire so they can't get through that.

7. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Thanks! [​IMG]

8. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    [​IMG] Great tillers. I have those vines like that too. I usually run the mover over them and mince them up and then the nutrients go back into the soil over the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by