Garden training!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by seussiii, Mar 21, 2017.

1. seussiii

seussiii Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2017
    My anconas are just a month old. Have any of you conditioned/trained your ducks to stay out of the garden? or even better not attack the plants in them?

They are in this phase where foraging is new to them and they seem to be testing anything they can get their mouths on. Anyone successful training or is a small fence my only hope?

Would be nice to have them pick through the garden for bugs once the plants are bigger later in the summer.

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    You'll need a fence. Ducks don't seem to know things are off limits

3. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

You'll probably need a fence. My ducks own my garden and really appreciate all the tasty stuff I plant for them and all the pretty flowers for them to trample.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[VIDEO]

I'd love to show you pictures of my large bush-size flowering sedum, but I can't because the ducks ate it. To the ground. The 6" high beds are easy-peasy for them to step into and the 12" high bed was no trouble at all either.

This year, we are going to try chicken wire wrapped around the vegetable area. Notice I said "try." I tell myself that I can buy local produce at the farmers market, but duck eggs are harder to buy. (Sigh.)

4. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    My ducks live in the garden with my raised beds. They bother some things (lettuce, tomatoes, peppers etc.)and leave the rest alone (squash, basil, potatoes, onions) . I fence off young plants and things I don't want them to destroy. Sometimes it works, sometimes they are sneaky and get in and destroy it. I don't have any more slugs though!

5. Krazyquilts

I had Japanese beetles really bad last year and I'm hoping the ducks will find them tasty if those nasty bugs come back this year.

6. cheezenkwackers

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    If that works there might be a huge increase in duck sales!

7. seussiii

seussiii Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2017
    yeaaaaa I think they might be trainable ... A few times when they run for the garden they hesitate a bit now as I always herd them away and holler at em.

Not worth testing it out and coming home to a garden stripped of leaves. Chicken wire is cheap enough.

Thanks for the input.

8. Krazyquilts

I've been trying to do that, in effort to keep my farther beds duck poo-free. My husband says that all I'm doing is teaching the ducks that if they go to those beds, I make loud sounds and give them treats (to lure them away). He may be right ...

He also thinks it's funny that I'm even bothering because it's obvious that it's all the ducks's garden now. :confused: Good thing they're cute and lay lots of eggs.

9. cheezenkwackers

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    Ha, ha, I have been trying to teach mine to stay away from our swimming pool. I have managed to teach them to wait until I'm not looking before they jump in and jump out quick if they hear me open the door to come out and chase them out! Currently I have shiny gold curling ribbon tied to stakes about six inches off the ground. So far it is working.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by