Garden tricks for pesky critters

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by FrenchHen, Mar 27, 2009.

1. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Ok, so the ground squirrels ate all but two of my pea seeds last time I planted them in the garden. I was so busy battling for my corn (had to plant it in those Jiffy pods already sprouted) that I didn't notice until later that I had no peas.

This year I planted them with about a pound of crushed red pepper.

Any other simple tricks to outwit bushy tailed rats?

General tips welcome too!

2. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Yes,..you need my cat. He LOVES ground squirrels. We used to be overpopulated,not now. I think I have seen one in two years.

3. FrenchHen

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Unfortunately my house sits back about 75 feet from a very busy road. I'd let a kitty roam if I could. I'd get one of the gnarliest torn eared scrapper cats from the humane shelter for pest control, but I will not have a flat cat splat outside my house.
    The cars seem to hit everything but the squirrels!

4. Up-the-Creek

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Get you a pellet gun and go ground squirrel hunting. I wouldnt have the varmints eating up my seed. Oh or go buy some live traps.The small ones are pretty cheap. Then you can take them far far away and just let them go. Im all out of ideas now,.. [​IMG]

5. FrenchHen

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Yeah, a pellet gun. That'd be fun.

6. Up-the-Creek

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Therapy [​IMG]

7. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

A good dog that likes to hunt critters like our mini Aussie. Quincy is He** on field mice, shrews, moles and anything else that travels through the grass. OR more fun and more possitive that they won't be back a .22 rifle, lawn chair and a good dose of patience. Then make squarrel stew.

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I remember one year when my peas were getting dug up! They weren't getting eaten, probably because they'd been treated. Still, every day I'd have to go pick up all the peas scattered on the surface and replant them. I was cursing! [​IMG]

I bought a container of blood meal at the garden center and sprinkled it all over that row. They left the peas alone after that. I don't remember where I got that tip, but it worked for me.

9. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    take a 5 gal bucket and fill it about half deep and cover the top of water with about 1" of sunflower seeds. the squirels will fall in trying to get the seeds and drown.[​IMG]

10. FrenchHen

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    I can do that. What do I do with the dead squirrels?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by