Garden veggies the do's and dont's

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PunkerTechnoRoo?ter, Jan 9, 2009.

1. PunkerTechnoRoo?ter

PunkerTechnoRoo?ter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Georgia
    Ok so I know onion cause eggs to have a off flavor. Is there anything else veggie wise chickens shouldnt eat ?
    I was thinking about growing broom corn which I think is a type of millet just for them. Will I need to crack the kernals or could I just throw in the plant whole into the coop ?

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Check out the Chicken Treats page that Buff Hooligan's put together. Towards the bottom is a list of things that chickens shouldn't be fed.

Did a Google search on feeding broom corn to chickens and found some info about doing so but not a whole lot.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Dawn

3. PunkerTechnoRoo?ter

PunkerTechnoRoo?ter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Georgia
    thank you very much. [​IMG]

4. 39jdeere

39jdeere Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2007
    MINNESOTA
    I wouldn't be afraid to feed anything that comes out of garden
    vegetables anything you can eat they can
    an for the onions a little or the ends won't be enough to taint the taste of the egg

craig

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Broomcorn info is on Purdue's "New Crop" webpages. This is a good source for things out of the ordinary. Click the "index" link at the top of the page and you can find info on more crops that you could have even thought of.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/nexus/Sorghum_nex.html

Steve

6. swampwander

swampwander Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Mims, Fl
    I grow milo/ sourghum found in cheap birdseed for my girls. It's also found in commercial scratch mixtures. Regular birds here won't eat it because of the grain size, but the girls LOVE it.

7. modenacart

modenacart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    New Bern, NC
    I have thrown scraps from the table to our chickens and have never noticed a difference in the taste of the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by