garden will be temp housing

21hens-incharge

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Northern Colorado
I will be building a new coop and tearing down the old one and the run.
If I close the 22 chickens in my 23 x 14 garden are there plants I should remove first?
I have growing
cabbage which I know is fine for them to eat but there are about a dozen in there
onions
carrots
corn
tomatos
turnips
lettuce
hot peppers
and borage

I think they will leave the corn alone since it is to tough and to tall to reach.
hu.gif

I will search some more for the poison plants list....

Tomatoes (and peppers, eggplant, & potatoes) are part of the nightshade family. The leaves and stems are toxic, so I wouldn't let your chickens eat those. I would limit the borage as well (too much is toxic to the liver). As far as I know the rest should be fine.

Wow - you must be up north somewhere to have all that in your garden right now! I'm in SE Texas and my garden basically shuts down from June - August (95+ temps). What I wouldn't give for some garden carrots right now!
smile.png

Thank you. I had no idea about the borage being a bad thing. I grow it to draw the bees in near my tomatos. It can be pesky to control.
I think I will hang in there until September and then just clear the whole thing for them.
Not wanting dead or sickly chickens while I am building them a new house.

I am in northern Colorado. I am looking at the outside temp and it is reading 105 with a 12% humidity.

I gave the girls all cold water about half an hour ago. Thank goodness I have shade trees.

I am going to prefab the whole coop so putting it together should only take about 3 days. I do worry about them finding bad roots to eat in the garden.

Borage is fine when eaten in small amounts. It's good in salads. It's just something that should be eaten in moderation, and you know how chickens are - they just devour everything in sight!

Good luck with the new coop!

Back
Top Bottom