Gardeners: chicken poop tea?

maizey

Songster
9 Years
Feb 23, 2010
Deep in the heart of Dixie
I know you can make worm casting tea for a great fertilizer but could you do something similar with chicken poop? I was thinking of putting a couple of scoops of fresh poo into a large watering can, filling it with water and letting it sit for a few days and then pouring it on. I know composted chicken poo is great, but I'm impatient. This is my first spring with chickens and I've just started a compost heap and its nowhere near ready to use. I need fertilizer now! thoughts on this idea anyone?

Glad you asked this. I've been putting a few scoops of fresh poop in a 5 gallon bucket, half filling it with water, letting it sit in the sun for a few days, and then pouring some near bushes -- and wondering whether I'm doing it the best way.

Subscribing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive always been told chicken poop is too "hot" and needs to be fully composted, from what I hear the best poop for poop tea is bunny poop (I need to work on my husband in that area...getting some bunnies haha)

No need to make tea out of bunny poop. It is not hot, and can be directly applied to your garden. I think your idea of making the tea is fine. I just wouldn't put it directly on young seedlings. Would be a great way to "side" dress already established plants.

Quote:
I'm trying to score some bunnies for the kids for Easter..You just gave me some leverage...We ALL want an AWESOME garden this year ..Right?!!..lol..

Seedlings is just what I want it for..I wonder if I could make a weak tea?

No way hubby is going to go for bunnies..Im in enough trouble as it is
roll.png

Yes you need bunnies:) I built some vermicompost bins underneath the rabbit cages so I can use thier poop for worm composting and I also use the poop straight in the garden. Chicken poop, I compost first before applying it to the plants or it will burn them.

Go ahead and directly place the chicken poop in your garden(around your plants not on them)...
However be carefull not to "burn" (like an acidic burn) your plants with excessive amounts of nitrogen (chicken poop).

Once applied water your garden so then a small amount of your chicken "stuff" will be turned into a "tea" (like you said above).

Last edited:
I put some poo in a pillow case ( I'd say I fill it up about a 1/3 of the way) then I place it in a 5gal bucket and fill up with water, I let it sit in the sun for about 5-7 days stirring it once a day, then I pour the tea into a 32 gal trashcan and I fill that up with water and I put the lid on. :eek:) It sits in the corner of my garden and my plants are thriving. I use it about once a week and so far so good.

Back
Top Bottom