Gardeners- composted poop?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Lesa, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Hi! I have some composted chicken poop - no wood chips. I don't have a huge amount -most of mine is mixed with chips. What have you found in your garden that responds really well to chicken fertilizer? Should I use it only on veggies or do some other plants benefit? If you would let me know your experiences, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, chicken lovers and gardeners!

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If there was no wood chips in it, just pure poo (like from off a droppings board) then it probably has not composted well and needs mixing with something carbon-containing (like, wood chips <g> or lots of other possibilities) before being maximally useful.

Squash, cukes and melons are the high-nitrogen-loving-est plants I can offhand think of. Whether to reserve it for your veg garden or use it on other garden plants depends on whether you have other garden plants that really need fertilizing at the moment. Probably not though, or at least fertilizing them is not likely to give you as much 'bang for your buck' as the veg garden. Make sure you're aware of the veggies that do NOT like excess nitrogen in the soil so you don't inadvertantly give it to them (carrots will get hairy, tomatoes will put too much energy into leaves and not enough into flowers/tomatoes, etc)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    FERNS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by