Gardening For Geese

LisabethBrooke

Chirping
5 Years
May 16, 2014
I'm going to do a garden again this year y first successful one was last year. But this time I'd also like to plant some crops to help feed my growing geese population over the winter. Are there any ideas of what I should grow for them? I know they can't have tomatoes or other night shade plants. But I was thinking for sure enough corn for them and us, some sunflowers ( I was told they would eat the seeds) and some pumpkins. They gobbled up my son's Halloween pumpkins so I'm assuming they like them. We live in zone 4 or 5a.
Thank You!

There is only so much one can grow for the winter time, I supplement with cracked corn, less than 6 bucks per 50 lbs, simple and they love it. They tend to graze on what ever grass is still out in the fields. I have seen them eat kale which even in this cold weather is still out in the garden.
frow.gif

Have you considered something like wheat, and storing seeds to sprout in the winter? I buy wheat berries (seeds) in bulk, and sprout them for my ducks.

Also you may want to look into mangels. Young, they are tasty. And they are a traditional livestock food. The roots are good keepers.

Back
Top Bottom