Gardening for my birds!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cherndon712, Jan 14, 2008.

1. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    What would you all suggest? I live in Wyoming, so some things just don't do well! But here's my usual list of stuff I plant...

Tomatoes (LOTS and LOTS!)
    Peppers
    Okra
    Green Beans
    Sugar Snap Peas
    Cucumbers
    Zucchini
    Acorn Squash
    Pumpkin
    Watermelon
    Corn

Any ideas would be helpful! I live in Zone 4 for you fellow gardeners!

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I suggest putting a fence around those tomatoes if you want any for yourself! When my Chicken Hawk figured out where the tomato plant was, she and all of her little hen friends were eating off of it every time I let them free range! [​IMG]

3. cherndon712

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    LOL...We learned our lesson last year...My ducks and geese had FUN when they figured out where to sneak into my garden!

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Have you checked out the sister site theeasygarden.com ?

And... explain to me... how do you do those watermelons!!! I'm in 6a aparently.

5. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Cherndon, I have never in my life had Okra. Is there any way to describe what it's similar to in taste? I might try some if I ever see it here, I've only ever seen it canned and I doubt that is a true reflection on what it tastes like straight from the garden.
    I saw Paula Deane doing a show on the food network, she was making deep fried "popcorn" Okra and it looked pretty good.

6. cherndon712

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  7. cherndon712

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    Oh, I LOVE LOVE LOVE deep fried okra with ranch...It's SO good! It's REALLY hard to explain the taste of okra...One of those things you'll have to try! Look in your frozen food section for breaded okra...Fry some up and see if you like it! Most people here in Wyoming don't know what it is...Guess it's cuz my dad's family is from Oklahoma!!!
    And, silke, thanks for reminding me! I registered for the garden forum, just haven't made it back yet!!

8. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Sunflowers [​IMG]

9. cherndon712

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    I do want to try sunflowers! We've had them before, but I don't like the smell!

10. ml

ml Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    My peeps love lettuce, butternut squash and turnip greens. They are major cuke hounds and tomato freeks too.

Also Mangel Beets are grown for peeps.

http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_center/browse_category.asp?category_id=375

I start alot of my plants for them in milk jugs out side via winter sowing. Great way to keep them out of your seedlings and start alot of plants for a reasonable cost.

http://wintersown.org/

Take note Trudi will even give you some seeds to try this.

My peeps are real garden hogs so most things have to be caged to keep them out or they will just go shopping for what ever they want with out me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by