1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gardening for the birds.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rivermedic, Apr 14, 2012.

1. rivermedic

rivermedic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    I am quite fortunate to have much more garden capacity than I can use and I'd like to grow some stuff for my mixed flock of chickens, ducks, & geese. What are some good veggies to grow for this purpose. Also, if I grow a stand of feed corn will the birds be able to eat it this fall whole kernel off the cob or does it have to be milled?

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Greens are always a good choice. Leaf lettuce makes a hit and with mine, sweet potatoes are yummy. They love just about anything from the garden though, including the plants you dont' want them to touch. Especially those. So be sure they can't access the garden or you'll have a disaster area.

They love tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, spinach, broccoli, pumpkins, squash, the list goes on and on.

1 person likes this.
  3. kcjones

kcjones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    i plant extra lettuce and endive for the chickens. they can't get enough. seems the endive helps with the calcium shells seem thicker since the greens started getting done

1 person likes this.
  4. galanie

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Oh and beet greens are rich in calcium. I forgot to mention before, mine ADORE swiss chard.

1 person likes this.
  5. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    I planted a bunch of spinach in the run. I have it fenced off. When it gets big and starting to flower and bolt, I'm gonna let the birds have at it. I also planted sunflowers around the perimeter of the run. They can have the heads when they are ready.
    I have 2 runs. The 27x26 I built for them for the spring and summer. In the fall and winter they get a huge vegetable garden that is attached to another 50 ft. diameter circular garden. Between an eighth and a quarter acre. They can have everything that's left over in those 2 gardens. I plan to do alot of planting in the run in the winter so they can have some stuff. Plant cold hardy early plants like spinach, kale, Swiss chard, and peas. They should be happy with that.

1 person likes this.
  6. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    They will love to eat the whole kernels from the cobs. Makes a great distraction for them pecking at the ears. I grew Indian corn last year, plan to again.

1 person likes this.
  7. rivermedic

Feb 15, 2012
    Can they eat the beets or just the greens?

8. kcjones

kcjones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    mine didnt care for the beet greens, but liked most other greens

9. galanie

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I don't think they'll eat the beets. Mine will eat the greens sometimes but sometimes not. I think it depends on what they have available. For instance right now, they have lots of green stuff all over to eat so they aren't too interested in any garden greens.

10. rivermedic

Feb 15, 2012
    *bump*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by