Gardening gurus!! I need your help!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by shelleyd2008, Mar 2, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I learned last season (after planting my cukes and watermelon beside each other) that some things can cross-pollinate? Kind of interesting to see cukes the size of watermelons!! Anyway, I have a lot of veggies this year, and was just wondering which ones shouldn't be planted together, which are fine, and which should be faaaaaaaar apart! [​IMG] Can anyone help me? [​IMG]

I have:

Squash-zuchinni, crookneck, butternut, spaghetti
    watermelon
    cantaloupe
    pumpkin- 3 different types, but not sure on the types!
    tomato--5 or 6 different types
    bushel gourds
    birdhouse gourds
    bush cucumbers
    broccoli
    cauliflower

There are more, but I don't think they are any trouble. The main I'm worried about is if the squash and melons are okay, or pumkins, whatever!! Things like that!

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
  3. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Oh, and I've been warned about Squmpkins! Squash and pumpkins love to cross pollinate.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Ack! Good thing you said something. Time for me to redraw the gardening plan [​IMG]

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Doesn't cross pollination only affect the seeds of the plant for the next generation if you were to save seed and plant it? I've always planted my squash and cucumber close together and never had any odd cross of veggie.

6. cat

cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    I never had a problem with wierd fruit, my understanding was that unless you wanted to collect and use your own seeds next year, then there is no problem. I don't think cross-pollination will affect the fruit set by the original seeds.

7. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

That's right, cross-pollination will affect the seeds of the resulting fruit, not the fruit itself.

8. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    check out theeasygarden.com

9. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Quote:Yep, there's a live link at the bottom of every forum page. Come on over and chat about gardening with us! [​IMG]

10. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Oh yes... come to TEG and get addicted like so many others who've been sucked in.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by