Gardening in run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by flyboy129, Oct 5, 2012.

1. flyboy129

flyboy129 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Okay, surveying those with experience on having a chicken garden. My chickens have a daytime run, separate from the garden, that is completely enclosed. I just got a deal on about 130ft of green vinyl coated 4' chain-link fencing. Also have access to around 150-200 8x8x16 concrete blocks as well as several 4" cap blocks. Here is my plan. Fence off a 40x25 spot at the end of my hoop run. Using the blocks, build raised planters that sit about 20" high. Put my veggies in them. I actually have a small 3' high welded fence doing a smaller concept, just no raised planters. The chickens are turned out a few times a week into this garden, where they happily scratch around in the grass and debug the vicinity (I have wire around most of the plants) and it works decently. I have lost a few tomatoes, but am covered up in tomatoes I have harvested. I will build framed enclosures for the beds and cover in wire to minimize losses. I will probably overseed the grass heavily with clover. The birds will also have their own bed of lettuce, greens, sunflowers, etc.
    So. What do you guys and girls think? Anyone done something similar? Pictures of your garden would be helpful. Any plants that are fatal that I need to avoid? (Basic garden veggies, a few herbs, etc are all I intend on planting. A few flowers such as marigolds, sunflowers, and mums will be placed in with the crops)
    I'll try to post up a drawing of my proposed layout when I finish it.
    Thanks everyone.

OOPS! Did a double post. Feel free to delete this one!!! Thanks

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  2. coolcanoechic

coolcanoechic Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm pretty sure that anything you plant would be demolished in short time. I have let my girls into the garden, and at first, they did not know enough to bother anything. Now, they taste and destroy. They have also kicked all of the soil out of my raised beds onto the lawn. My garden is done for the year anyway, so it does not bother me too much. I'll fix it before spring. I'm in the process of adding another closed run to the structure I have to keep the girls contained and away from further damaging the garden. I have found that they do not like herbs and they don't like green beans. When they discovered my tomatoes, that was the end of me getting anymore. I just let them have them. I had tomatoes coming out my ears for a while and had had enough to satisfy my needs. They also love swiss chard which is easy to grow, but you need to keep the chickens out until it is full grown or they will eat it before it gets a chance to get established. Make sure you plant enough!

[​IMG]

3. flyboy129

Jul 27, 2011

Ummm. Did you read my post? I will address that better this time around. I agree. Chickens LOVE veggies. Especially anything red. That is why I am goint to build wire enclosures for each bed.

Quote: [​IMG]

4. coolcanoechic

Yes, I saw that. I was just pointing out my mistake [​IMG]
    How many chickens do you have? I have five.
    Fencing around your favorite veggies will work, but they will get in if it's not high enough.
    Here are a couple more garden pics I took this morning.

This is Marion in the swiss chard.
    [​IMG]

By far, the swiss chard is their favorite in the garden.
    [​IMG]

Swiss chard will keep growing new leaves if you let it get to full size before you let the chickens have a go at it.......... and it grows back quickly. I'm not sure how long the grass and clover will last.

5. flyboy129

Jul 27, 2011
    I only have four. I have a hoop run constructed that is secure. We have hawks in the area, so I can't leave them unprotected. This fence isn't only for my chickens, but also deer, rabbits, neighborhood dogs, etc. I just like to turn them out a few times a week in the afternoon while I do work around the house. Excellent organic pest control, plus any veggies that are bad on the vine they get as treats. Here are some ideas I hope to use:
    [​IMG]
    I will add framing to the bottom of mine to attach an electric fence to on the outside to discourage tunneling predators.
    [​IMG]
    Probably similar to this one above.
    [​IMG]

While my planters will be constructed of blocks, this is the idea of a wire enclosure I like. I will probably make mine about 24-30" high on top of the 20" bed height.
    [​IMG]
    I really like this idea for around the corners of the garden and edges of the planters. I like to mow, but I despise weedtrimming.

6. coolcanoechic

I like the last pic. That is a great idea for eliminating the weed whacker.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by