Gardening question about bulbs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Andora, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I know you are supposed to plant bulbs in the fall, but well...last fall I forgot. I have a couple bags of tulips and some other bulbs that I hadn't done anything with. Today I was sorting seeds and I opened them, and they are all sprouting.

What should I do?? What would happen if I went out and planted them now? I live in KY and it's going to be between 25 and 55 degrees the next few weeks with lots of rain.

What will happen if I don't plant them and they are sprouting? Will they die or keep growing or what? Could I plant them this coming fall instead?

Help!

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Put them in a large pot big enough to plant at the specified depth. Enjoy them as porch plants you can cover during the real cold snaps (or bring indoors), then transplant them in the yard when it's warm enough to.

That's what I'd do.
    And planting in a pot you can pack them closer together and get a real pretty decorative use from them.

3. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree plant them or loose them! I would do as the above poster suggested, the pots will be a few degrees warmer then the ground, since they are sprouting in the house I take it?

4. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    That's a good idea! I've got a couple of huge pots. I'm going to go plant them in it right now.

The only problem with bringing them inside, I found out the hard way, is that my cats apparently confuse huge dirt filled pots with their litter box.

*gag*

Now I have to hide any pots in one room and close it off, or the dirt will be forever..soiled. lol.

5. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I have cats. Go buy a bag of those quarter-sized decorative stones and pour them over the dirt. The plants can push them out of the way but the cats won't like digging in them.

Only other problem would be if the cats want to sleep in them. I get those cute little signs you can get for a $1 or so, and put those in the pots in random places so that napping IN the pot won't be comfortable or easy.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by