Gardening/Seed Swap Thread, Do Yer Yappin' Here

rbaker0345

Big Mamma Brahma
8 Years
Oct 18, 2011
Beaufort, NC Outer Banks
It has come to my attention that people who are joining in on their phones or other mobile devices find it hard to weed through all of the miscellaneous yapping and get to the actual offers, so this is our chat site. Please move the bulk of your (our) side conversation to this thread.

Thanks for such a wonderful swap thread, everyone.

Renee

Marking the thread...since I will need it...I "yap" a lot
hide.gif

They have a system of rhizomes, or thickened roots just like an iris. The rhizomes are generally pretty close to the soil surface, so if you move away some of the grass, you should see some "shoulders". If you plan on digging them all up and moving them, then I would just dig around the perimeter of the root system which should pretty closely match the perimeter of the above-ground plant parts. Dig straight down about 18" and you should get the whole thing. If you just want one division, I would find one of those shoulders or pick one above-ground shoots and dig straight down to separate it from the rest of the plant.

They have a system of rhizomes, or thickened roots just like an iris. The rhizomes are generally pretty close to the soil surface, so if you move away some of the grass, you should see some "shoulders". If you plan on digging them all up and moving them, then I would just dig around the perimeter of the root system which should pretty closely match the perimeter of the above-ground plant parts. Dig straight down about 18" and you should get the whole thing. If you just want one division, I would find one of those shoulders or pick one above-ground shoots and dig straight down to separate it from the rest of the plant.
OK, guess JJ has another job for tomorrow's list (weather permitting). We planted the strawberry plants from dblea tonight & will be doing the raspberries I got last week tomorrow. Then we'll be starting on the garden & the flower beds.

I'm so glad you all started this chat thread. So, I have extra seeds from my starts and such, are non personally saved seeds ok? I have a bunch of extras. I have some starts to put up too now that things are starting to come up so I might finally be able to start swapping them!

Back
Top Bottom