Gardening, sigh..

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by mylittlechickpea, May 22, 2010.

1. mylittlechickpea

mylittlechickpea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    So, I am not a huge of fan of gardening.. That would be my amazing husband. So he goes out and buys all these plants, and stuff, and I don't think he's gotten it into his head yet, that I kill plants. Not intentionally, of course, but they don't make noise or bother me in any way, so I simply forget to water them.. Habitually.. Well, he's been gone for about a month now (on a 'mini' deployment) and I am so proud of myself for not killing any of his beloved plants. He's started getting heartier plants that are harder to kill... But when I was transplanting them into bigger pots yesterday, the pineapple fell off the pineapple plant!!! I was doing so good!! I think I hit the pot on the table, and I guess the force from it shaking just knocked it right off... I don't know how to break it to my husband, he'll be devastated! I didn't kill it!! But he always asks me how big the pineapple is getting on the plant every time I talk to him.. I plan on buying another plant (with the pineapple still attached) about the same size as the one we had before I knocked it off, but I know he'll know, so I can't get rid of the other, I have to tell him.. I'm just hoping maybe another pineapple will lessen the devastation...

2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    So sad! I'm sure he'll understand, though.

3. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, here in Illinois we don't even have a pineapple on a tree . . .but on the bright side, the mama tree is still alive!! That should be worth something!!!

4. way2gomom

way2gomom Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    You might be able to trick the pineapple tree into sprouting again. Take a plastic grocery bag and tie it onto your tree with an apple inside. As the apple rots, it will produce gases that will influence the pineapple to start a sprout so another pineapple may start sooner. It's worth a try! I learned this information from Crockett's Victory Garden.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by