Gardening with chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by isuperman35, Feb 18, 2014.

1. isuperman35

isuperman35 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    Anyone have any tips on gardening with chickens...or better yet how to garden without the chickens eating everything first! Are there plants/veggies that the chickens won't eat?

I may not be able to keep them out, so are there good plants to grow in the garden that are beneficial for the chickens?

I realize that I could move my garden somewhere where the chickens don't go or I could fence around the garden, but I dont have the room to move nor do i want more fencing.

Anything helps

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

The only plants that I have that seem to be chicken safe are the shrubs. Anything else they either eat or scratch up. A line of low fencing around garden areas will usually keep them out.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Chickens will denude everything you have in the garden! My old garden was a barren dirt patch after letting chickens roam in it for 2 years. LOL They will eat nearly everything. And while for the most part, they won't eat what is poisonous, but just the same, don't let them eat bulb type plants. The bulbs are highly poisonous to chickens. I finally kicked my birds out of my garden so I could grow something without having it disappear later that day after it sprouted!!

Enjoy all your adventures and BYC!

4. greasy

greasy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2014
    Worcester , ma
    You'll have to put a fence up. However, in the fall, they do a nice job cleaning up and killing bugs in the garden ! I had some beans growing on my corn, the chickens cleaned those off as well as the lettuce, swiss chard and anything else green !

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

9. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hello & welcome,
    I make my snow fencing (plastic) do double duty as a chicken fence in the spring/summer. Doesn't look too pretty, but is effective.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by