Gardening with raptors...yeah, not efficient but very entertaining

PeteTheSwede

Chirping
Mar 1, 2016
West Sacramento
So I scraped of a large area of mulch and dug equally large area to soften the clay soil I've got going on in the poultry yard. Mission: plant Comet hops. I completed the digging and amending the clay/soil and I kid you not, it took me 40 seconds to grab the hops plant from the nursery, and this is what I came back to....
I'll be planting hops another day it seems. Even the 3 week olds joined the party.

Chickens....*sigh* IMG_20180527_160411.jpg

I opened the coop doors today wide to go in and turn the shavings...

Turned away to grab the rake, turned back, and all my chicks had melted. There was a puddle of Sebrights, a puddle of Seramas, and I had no idea that a Silkie could be an inch thick, but I swear s/he was, with wings sprawled in every direction, legs sticking out at random angles, and blissfully glazed eyes. Apparently, the outer coop doorway is the BEST place for a sunbath, despite having full access to a 10x20 covered run with plenty of sunlight.

So I can sympathize.

Ha ha ha, absolutely. I would not ever dare to grow anything without protection around everything in the poultry yard. It would be complete waste of plant and time.
But in this instance, I didn't feel right moving them aside for my own benefit when they had the time of their lives.

Last edited:
I don't have the chickens in the garden either. Half of our backyard is fully devoted to our feathered creatures, so we flooded their half with wood chips and planted fruit trees, shrubs, and other perenial plants that can withstand chicken assault on a daily basis without major protection. Adding banana, kiwi, passion fruit, raspberry, goosberry, and hops this year.

Back
Top Bottom