garggg! External pip - then NOTHING!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Czech's_chicks, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    Due on Monday, started to pip, beak popped out, sounded ok, then nothing more. Tuesday, no more progress. I peeled a little bit of shell off, saw the membrane receded, so I pulled more off. The membrane was sticking to the chick. It was dry! I have water in there so I can't figure what else I need to do to increase the humidity.

I ended up putting the chick down today because it was just flopping. The other egg due the same time never even internally pipped. Still have 2 more due next week and soon to get 10 more to hatch - what went wrong, how do I fix it before the other eggs get here??

2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Sounds like low humidity. You can add a small bowl of water with a sponge in it to try to get the humidity up.

3. Czech's_chicks

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    I had water in the well - will a sponge make a difference?

4. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    It seems to. Do you have a reading of what your humidity was at? For chickens i use about 65% humidity for lockdown. Some do differently but that is what works for me. To low a humidity causes them to shrink wrap and they can't get out of the shell. Also make sure you don't open the incubator once they are in lock down.

5. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    A sponge or wet paper towel makes a lot of difference. It wicks the water up making it evaporate and create humidity. I always fill my resevoirs and put a folded up wet washcloth in the incubator on day 18.

6. Czech's_chicks

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    No reading on humidity, just have played it by ear, since I haven't used a bator in years. This is one reason why I prefer silkie [​IMG]

I'll add the wash cloth and thank you both.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree the humidity during lockdown was to low. I use the bottle with the straw to add water while in lockdown so I don't have to open the incubator. I put the straw in one of the holes.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by