Garlic as a deterrent for dreaded mites!

HPH lady cluck

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2016
England
Hi, just want to rack your brains if i may? We have the dreaded mites, and i am putting crushed garlic in their feed and water as well as using a garlic and EO spray to clean the coop prior to dusting with DE. I'm doing this daily,interspersed with jet washing when the weather allows, but wondered if anyone knows whether leaving a couple of cloves of garlic where they sleep (mixed into their bedding) would act as a deterrent also? I'm still noticing a few mites in the morning, so wondered if this would prevent biting of my hens during the night? We inherited an old wooden coop which is probably where they came from, and are saving up for a new coop, so they have to sleep in there for now. The good news is my hens are all seemingly fit and well, and all are still laying daily, but i hate the thought of them being bitten at night. Any input re garlic in the coop will be very much appreciated! Thankyou x

Note that using garlic continually and/or indiscriminately can cause serious health issues.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/05/raising-chickens-naturally-garlic-with.html

If you have the kind of mites that reside and breed in the cracks and crevices of your coop, they need to be eliminated from the structure too.....
.....it's not likely that anything but an appropriate chemical insecticide will be effective to eradicate an infestation.

So far our eggs do not taste garlicky, but i read somewhere that if they do, you just need to cut back on the amount they eat.
I forgot to say....

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

It's a great community here with tons of experienced knowledgeable people. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
yippiechickie.gif

Best wishes,
~Alyssa

Back
Top Bottom