Garlic cayenne and acv to treat cocci?

ohiobirdmom

In the Brooder
Nov 16, 2015
I got a reply on my previous thread (sick silkie) that I may have cocci in my birds. I called all the places around me that sell corid and I'm not too sure I can afford it today. So I did some research on the cayenne pepper suggestion they gave me for if I can't get corid. I read an article that says to use garlic acv and cayenne. Does anyone know about doing this? If so can you give me a link on how/dosing/ effectiveness ect. Anything would be super helpful!!

Sounds like the start of a new myth.
Coccidia don't give a hoot about cayenne, garlic or the acidity provided by ACV.

Can you get medicated feed?

Make sure your bedding is bone dry and your feeders are full.

Code:
I have medicated chick starter. Can I use that on them? We got chicks on Monday but have kept them in and away from other birds.

It would be more effective than garlic, chilies and ACV. To control the life cycle of coccidia, they must be deprived of the ability to utilize thiamine.

if your chick(s) are sick with coccidiosis then acv/garlic/cayenne are going to do nothing.
If they are sick, then medicated feed will be very unlikely to get them better. The feed works as a preventative, not a treatment.
If they are full blown sick with it then Corid or Amprol is your best treatment option.
I don't see an age for your bird. Young chicks are very susceptible and can go downhill very fast, so starting treatment as soon as possible is important. Either the powder or the liquid is equally effective with the proper dosing.

I recently purchased Corid for my chicks. I lost two this past week before I knew what was going on. Corid is pricey, but it's what my vet recommended and as serious as coccidiosis can be for chicks, it's what's best. Losing to coccidia is not pretty and it kills within about 4 days (my experience). Good Luck!

I'm going to get the corid tonight. Can anyone tell me what the dosage is for the powder? All they have is the 20% powder that says for calves. I need to know dosage as in how much per gallon. And how often should I give?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/976541/coccidiosis
The link goes to a thread with the dosages for both powder and liquid. Use the "severe outbreak" dose, it's really a safe treatment. Posts 3 and 4 in the thread. End of post 4 gives duration of treatment recommendation.
You need to make a fresh solution each day of the treatment and this is the only water they get to drink for duration of treatment.
If a bird is not drinking you can use an eye dropper or syringe to carefully get some down until it starts drinking on it's own. Just don't squirt it into the lungs, just put in the beak and let it swallow.
Once treatment is complete follow up with vitamins and probiotics in the water. Corid is a Thiamine (vitamin B1) blocker, so a good idea to make sure they get some after treatment. Probiotics will help get their digestive tract back to normal.
Best of luck, hope your bird(s) recover.

Back
Top Bottom