Garlic?! Corn?! Good, Bad? Any opinions?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rowenna22, Mar 29, 2012.

1. rowenna22

rowenna22 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    Tucson, AZ.
    I'm hearing conflicting reports every where. Is garlic good or bad for chickens? Some say it's great, and have no problems, and I even found a recipe for a garlic mash, and some say that it taints the way the eggs taste. I know that it's up to me what I want to do, but I would love to hear what anyone thinks!

Also, corn. During the summer, do you feed less corn, more of the other grains? I live in Tucson and it can get hot here, and I want to make sure that my girls will stay healthy. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Yes that's true... it is up to you as to how you will feed your flock.

I did lots of research on line and I heard the same as you.

I decided to keep it simple. well sorta .....[​IMG]

I will feed my flock whole grains when they are big enough. they are 7 weeks old and i grind some of their grains yet. (soon i won't)

I try to give a variety of grains. corn included. But unlike the store/feed mill I don't use corn as my main ingredient. they see corn as a cheap filler in my opinion. I chose wheat instead.

I will be tossing some extra corn in their litter this winter. not sure it will help with keeping them warmer, but that's the idea.

I also don't mess with the garlic part because I wasn't sure about it myself. plus more messing around. I keep it simple. or it will become a burden and not fun.

I do feed meat scraps once in awhile (1x week or so) and all kitchen scraps as often as i have them.

I did sprout oats over winter for them as well. They are out free ranging now so I don't need to do that any more.

I do add Apple Cider Vinegar to there water........ to help there "pipes" [​IMG]

This just what I do right now but.......things do change over time. and those changes are gradual.

Like I will be adding kelp free choice for it's vitamins/minerals instead of what I have now.

Find your starting point and go from there.

Hope this helps.
    Lisa

3. rowenna22

Mar 10, 2011
    Tucson, AZ.
    Thanks! I'm a first time chicken mom, so it's scary the amount of information out there, and it's nice to just have some straight advice! Good luck with your chicks!

4. RachelCheyenne

RachelCheyenne Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2012
    Kentucky
    My chicks get garlic mixed into their water everyday. They're so much more plump and healthy looking than mt sisters who doesn't. It's supposed to help prevent worms, whatever it's doing though, I'll continue using it.

5. rowenna22

Mar 10, 2011
    Tucson, AZ.
    Thanks!

6. kmatt87

kmatt87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    is it actually garlic cloves or garlic extract??

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Garlic is much like fish meal, cabbage, and other strong tasting food where if feed too much it will change the taste of the eggs and give them a off tast.

As for corn I feed the same amount of corn year round. (corn will not raise body temperature)

Chris

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  8. RachelCheyenne

RachelCheyenne Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2012
    Kentucky
    Garlic powder that you buy at the store

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Garlic is rich in sulfur...thus the smell and taste. Eggs are also rich in sulfur..thus the smell and taste. Garlic will not make your eggs taste more sulfur than they already do now...I've used it and can detect no discernible change in the flavor of the eggs. Just like anything else...a little is good, too much is not always better. Use the garlic by all means, but don't feed so much that you have birds hemorrhaging all over the yard.

I have, however, detected a change in the flavor of the eggs when ACV is used all the time...the eggs are more mild, less sulfur smell and taste noted..customers rave at the difference and offer to pay more for the eggs.

Chris is right...corn will not heat up your bird. If it did, there would be dead cows, sheep and pigs in feedlots all over the world each summer~all dead of heat stroke caused by the corn rich diet.

10. rowenna22

Mar 10, 2011
    Tucson, AZ.
    Maybe where you live you can feed corn year-round, but I live in Tucson, Arizona, where in the middle of summer, it's easily 110 degrees in the shade. I've also noticed that all of the people who responded to the corn question all live in green, rainy areas that might be a little cooler than where I live. Tucson, for all it's beauty, it is smack dab in the middle of the Sonoran Desert. Maybe where you live, feeding corn in the middle of the summer doesn't matter, here, it's considered a hot feed. At least that's what a friend here who has chickens told me today. Thanks though for your advice, a lot of it is very helpful. I just really want my girls to be happy, healthy chickens so any advice is helpful! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by