1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

garlic for baby chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Madiha Farhan, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Madiha Farhan

Madiha Farhan In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2016
    Pakistan
    Finally my cute lovely fluffy baby chicks hatched under mama hen.. I offer them hard boiled egg mixed with their feed.. I wonder when to add minced garlic in their drinking water? They are 3 days old.

2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello!

Here is what I give my chickens from the day they come in the mail.

Grate 3 tablespoons of ginger
    Mince 5 cloves of garlic
    Shred 2 handfuls of fresh Oregano

Boil 1 gallon of water with the above ingredients in it and let it steep for 2 hours, then strain the contents out. Add 2 tablespoons of molasses and 1/4 cup of ACV. My chicks love this water and drink it from 2 days old.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I use sav a chick electrolyte the first 2-3 days after hatch, end of story.

I have heard about putting garlic in the food, never heard of using it in the water. Have read numerous articles and experiences where people use ACV in the water for many things from keeping bacteria down to helping with pasty butt.

I've heard a lot of different arguments about using molasses both for anad against.

Seriously though, I don't use anything extra past the first 2-3 days and have never had a problem.

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    I give my chicks the special water up until they are 5 weeks old.

5. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    and yes, the molasses keeps the pasty butt at bay.

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I've seen people swear by molasses for pasty butt and I've seen people swear that molasses is bad for them...lol What's new? Everything in hatching/raising chicks seems to turn into a big debate. For instance here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/168278/something-else-beside-molasses-i-can-use-for-pasty-butt you can see the "debate". I read one tirade a guy went on about how bad molasses is and what it did to the chick's system, and the person he was arguing with swore that's what she used for years. It's even more debated here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/181339/what-will-fix-pasty-butt Just goes to show, no matter what you do, someone will always disagree. I have never had a problem with true pasty butt.

Alot of people say using a brooder light instead of a heating pad or Brinsea brooder causes pasty butt, feather picking and other things. I have always used a brooder light to heat one half of my brooder and never had a problem with any of these things. [​IMG]

I think people are too quick to condemn others for not doing what works for them. I highly believe that if something is working for you, you shouldn't let others make you feel bad for the way you do it. So many people have success doing things so many different ways. I like to research everything for myself and make my decisions based on what makes sense to me after weighing the pros and cons that others have provided.

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    I agree 100% on everything you said there. I have found molasses to work for me, but I mentioned it once and you would have thought I had just threatened to assassinate the president instead of putting molasses in a chicks drinking water the way one guy reacted. Everybody has their own opinions and usually other people cannot change those opinions. I have ALWAYS just used a heat lamp, I do still occasionally have problems with pasty butt, but I think you are just going to have a case or two with chicks no matter what you do for them.

1 person likes this.

8. Madiha Farhan

Madiha Farhan In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2016
    Pakistan
    thanks alot u all.. It helped :)[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    I am glad we could help!