Garlic? good/bad/ugly ??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cajun Rabbit, Oct 1, 2011.

1. cajun Rabbit

cajun Rabbit Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    I am learing so I don't know from personal experience. I have read (on here and other places) that feeding garlic to chickens will result in 'off' tasting eggs. But in a video posted here the man said that it was a great way to deter fleas and mites. .... I know in humans that eat lots of garlic it does repel mosquitoes, so does the same apply to chicks? if so how bad do the eggs taste?

Thanks.

2. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Here is a link to an article about feeding herbs - I have never fed garlic much, my birds have always been pretty healthy. Hope this helps, MW

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/5/5-2/herbs_for_spring_eggs_and_breeding.html

I have used powdered rosemary to dust their coop and them to deter external parasites, but if they have a dust hole (soft ground to dustbathe in) they will take care of the external parasites themselves.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  3. cajun Rabbit

cajun Rabbit Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    Got a 404 error [​IMG]

4. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Woops - then you can just look up Backyard Poultry's website and search for "garlic". There are a few articles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by