Garlic - Good/Bad

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hillschicks, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    I just read that you should avoid feeding your chickens garlic... Moments later i read that garlic can act as a de-wormer for chickens... Not going to go out of my way to feed them garlic, but should it be avoided??

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've only heard good things about feeding garlic. Some of the things I heard says feeding garlic regularly helps prevent mites infestations as does applying diluted garlic oil to the chickens skins. Adding it to their water helps prevent worms and some of the other benefits of feeding it is it gives the chickens' an immunity boost and it cuts back on the ammonia levels in their poop. That should make cleaning the coop easier!

Some people swear that feeding garlic gives the eggs a delicious flavour. Must try that one sometime...

3. TexasJ

TexasJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    Is that cloves or garlic powder?

4. TexasJ

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    Nm I see it now oil

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Oil mixed with water for the skin and fresh crushed for feed and water.

6. TexasJ

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    Cool thanks

7. RoseMarie1

RoseMarie1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2013
    Hattiesburg,Ms.
    My Coop
    Mine love the stuff. Am cutting up the cloves and putting it out for them to eat. They are 3 months old and they will eat it all when I put it in their bowls. It's gone in 5 minutes or less. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by