Garlic

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickenChic2016, Mar 2, 2017.

1. ChickenChic2016

ChickenChic2016 New Egg

Feb 12, 2017
    I am very new to chickens and was wondering what form of garlic is the best to feed my 3 buff orpingtons...freshly chopped, powder, freeze dried minced...so many forms.
    Thanks for any advice. I have been choping it up fresh but st the grocery I remembered all the different forms...

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Think freshly chopped according to the "Chicken Chick" but there are times I forget to pick up & give them a tsp of bottled chopped garlic (5 girls). Not sure how often but I tend to forget more than I remember. Heard it's good in their water too. Someone with more experience with garlic/chickens will peep in...

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! What are you wanting to feed garlic for?

4. ChickenChic2016

ChickenChic2016 New Egg

Feb 12, 2017
    I feed it to boost their immunity..

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Okay... Just wanna make sure you know it's not an effective de-wormer. Just the other day someone that feeds garlic and ACV posted a picture of poop with large roundworms in it. [​IMG]

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    How often are you giving it? Garlic is also a blood thinner. good to keep that in mind. I'd feel comfortable about using it 1 x /week, but not more often than that. Welcome to BYC.

7. kesrchicky16

kesrchicky16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2016
    So what is a good de-wormer? I'm new to chickens too.
    Also I have been using oregano essential oils (I'm planting lots of fresh this summer to give and store for them next winter.) 1 drop per gallon of water for the immunity boost.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Very few wormers treat all worms, so best to find out if you even have a worm problem, and the best way to do that is with routine fecal flotations, which any vet can do, or you can send poop samples off to a lab.

9. kesrchicky16

kesrchicky16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2016

I consulted the vet that cares for our cats, dog, and llamas. He said he received no fowl training. "Most people don't want to pay for vet care when a new chicken is so inexpensive. I don't do more then feed mine and gather what eggs they choose to lay."

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That's one way to do it, but do ask him what he would charge to do a fecal. You just need one... gather up a bunch of fresh poop from as many chickens possible, place in plastic bag, stir well, take to vet and have tst done. If worm egg count is high enough, that warrants treatment, and treatment would depend on what worms are found.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by