Garter Snake with mouth infection

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Mykee, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Mykee

Mykee Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a small garter snake. He lost his appetite and is loosing weight. His right eye seems a little cloudy, and there is black gunk around his lip.
    Do you know what could be causing this, and how I could confirm/ treat it? Thanks.

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Mouthrot, never fun to deal with in reptiles. I would truly recommend finding yourself a reptile vet since the treatment isn't exactly easy.

But you also need to eliminate the cause of the mouthrot. There are a number of causes, so you need to narrow down which it is. Improper nutrition, incorrect temperatures, overcrowding, trauma, or parasites can all cause it. So you need to evaluate the snake's diet to make sure it is balanced (proper calcium/phosphorus ratio is often an issue). Are you maintaining a proper environment? Temperature gradients, day/light cycles, and humidity? Is there adequate cover so the snake doesn't feel exposed and stressed? A vet can run a fecal for internal parasites, while you can mechanically check for external parasites.

Treatment involves debridement of the lesions (removing dead/damaged tissue so healthy can grow in), daily antiseptic flushes (using chlorhexidine or other mouth safe antiseptics), and antibiotics (topical or injection). If left untreated, the animal will die since the infection will spread from soft tissues like the gums to the bone underneath. Not a pleasant way to die, fyi.

3. Mykee

Thanks. Do you have any idea of a good average/estimate of how much a vet visit could cost?

4. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    It really depends on the vet. If there are multiple herp vets in your area, call around for an estimate. When I took over caring for a friend's ball python, she was full of parasites and needed veterinary attention. Cost me about 60$ for the appointment/exam, fecal test, and meds she needed, plus a vitamin B injection to boost her appetite. Some vets are more, some are less.

Herp Vet Connection is a good place to look for a vet that treats reptiles. Some even have reviews on cost and performance.

5. Mykee

Thanks so much! Is there anything I should (or shouldn't) do before I can get an appointment?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by