Gas Stations

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by NYboy, Feb 1, 2012.

1. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    Had diner with friends half my age, they didn't believe gas stations used to pump your gas, check your oil, and wash your windows.Do gas stations by you still do this?

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    They still pump your gas for you in Oregon and the nice guy cleaned my window for me too! (I think it is the law.)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  3. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    nope.

Now and again you'll find a station that pumps for you, but you have to pay cash and I think there is a surcharge for that "service". No windshield cleaning or oil checks, either.

4. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    I raised the hood on my car at a gas station and a guy asked me what was wrong with it. I replied, I am just checking the fluid levels.

I know few people seem to check their fluid levels, such as oil, transmission, brake fluid, wiper fluid, but it is a good idea.

I live in North Texas and I have not seen a full-service gas station in many years. But there may still be some around I don't know about.

Do all gas stations in Oregon pump the gas for you?

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    When I was a wee girl, my dad owned one of those full service gas stations. I still remember the smell of gasoline, and the ding of the bell when someone arrived. His tools hung on a peg board, and a red rag hung out of his back pocket. He'd snap that cloth in the air to check everything under the hood. He'd always talk to the customer about family and so forth. Three dollars later, the customer had gas, gossip, and a free bar of hand soap.

6. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011

That sounds awesome! I suppose I'm someone who missed out on that era. It's pretty much unheard of for this to happen now, especially in the city. :p

7. BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus

BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    san jose
    When I go to Mexico the Pemex stations always pump the gas for you. And occasionally random people on the street try to wash your windows.

8. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    Only those very small gas staions will pump your gas, big ones forget it.

9. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    In New Jersey we don't pump our own gas.

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

It's the law! I argued with the gas station guy in disbelief the first time I visited Oregon. I thought he was pulling my leg. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by