Gash on Neck!!

GavinAyers

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2019
On Saturday a mink got in my coop and killed 6 of my chickens including my 2 beautiful roosters. I’m am now left with 9 birds. One of those birds, Stormy had some ruffled feathers on her neck so I checked her and she had a gash on her neck from the mink. I cleaned it and put blue coat on it bc that’s all I had. I was wondering if I should buy an antibacterial cream to put on it or just keep it clean and put blue coat on it. Below is the only picture I have right now. It’s currently 8:30 pm so if anyone needs more pictures I can get some tomorrow
5C2F5BFC-2A0A-42A8-B6A6-9882DFA95550.jpeg

On Saturday a mink got in my coop and killed 6 of my chickens including my 2 beautiful roosters. I’m am now left with 9 birds. One of those birds, Stormy had some ruffled feathers on her neck so I checked her and she had a gash on her neck from the mink. I cleaned it and put blue coat on it bc that’s all I had. I was wondering if I should buy an antibacterial cream to put on it or just keep it clean and put blue coat on it. Below is the only picture I have right now. It’s currently 8:30 pm so if anyone needs more pictures I can get some tomorrow View attachment 2059375
When my dog attacked one of my ducks and he had wounds all on his neck, I cleaned them and put Neosporin(without pain relief) on it. Keep it as clean as possible, and regularly apply medicine to it. It may help to pluck some of the surrounding feathers. Good luck!

Chlorhexidene (Hibiclens,) Vetericyn are good to clean the wound, and plain antibiotic ointment is also good to use. Is she able to stand up and walk, or is she drinking and eating yet? If she is in shock, keep her warm and offer fluid when she is alert.

Sorry about your chickens. Are your chickens safe for tonight if the mink comes back? Are there any openings around a door owindow, or in the floor where the mink can get in?

Chlorhexidene (Hibiclens,) Vetericyn are good to clean the wound, and plain antibiotic ointment is also good to use. Is she able to stand up and walk, or is she drinking and eating yet? If she is in shock, keep her warm and offer fluid when she is alert.

Sorry about your chickens. Are your chickens safe for tonight if the mink comes back? Are there any openings around a door owindow, or in the floor where the mink can get in?
yes the birds are safe. My dad built a floor so they mink can’t get in. She is up and walking. And she is eating and drinking. The gash doesn’t seem to bother her.

When my dog attacked one of my ducks and he had wounds all on his neck, I cleaned them and put Neosporin(without pain relief) on it. Keep it as clean as possible, and regularly apply medicine to it. It may help to pluck some of the surrounding feathers. Good luck!
Ok. Thank you for the reply!!

Back
Top Bottom