1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

*GASP* My Poor Girls!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Jacky'sMamma, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Jacky'sMamma

Jacky'sMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Antelope, CA
    DH just called me @ work. This is how the call started...

"Honey, you can't leave the chickens in the out in the backyard anymore"

OMG!!! [​IMG] my heart just about STOPPED!!!!

"What happened, how are the girls!?!?!"

He told me that they were fine and that he heard a lot of skwaking and ran outside. The girls had run into the coop and perched on top of the run was a juvenile hawk [​IMG]

Folks, we don't live in the country, by any means! I have been under the false impression that because we live in suburbia nothing would ever happen to my babies! [​IMG]

I always lock them up at night, but in the morning I open the run, let them out in the morning, enjoy my cup-a-coffee and watch them play before going to work. Well... one day, I could not get them rounded up and had to leave. My son was going to be up soon and he would get them in. Things evolved from there and I assumed they would be safe here in the middle of town. [​IMG]

NOW THIS!!!!

the Girls are safe and here I am feeling like a horrible momma! Now they love bing out in the morning and I am afraid to let them out any more. WHAT TO DO!?!?!?!

I can't stop thinking how scared they musta been! [​IMG]
    I asked DH to go in and cuddle them for me. All I got was: "Yeah, tha's not gonna happen"

Heather

(my girls are 7 weeks old, and this is my first experience with raising 'em)

2. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    Glad to know everyone is fine. Although you are probably more shaken than your girls. It is hard to believe that a hawk would be in the "city" but you never know. Good thing is that you know now and nothing tragic had to happen for you to figure it out. We all learn from our experiences.
    My whole crew free ranges all day and we live in the country, desert so it's all open, but I have a roo that warns everyong when he sees anything fly overhead and all the girls and kids go to the coop until it's safe. I realize that it is only a matter of time, but they are so happy to free range and I can't leave them locked up all day.

3. eggcochin_freak5

eggcochin_freak5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Georgia
    well....i dont really know what to tell you....but i wouldnt let them out unless you can be right there to watch them

4. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I live about 1/2 mile from a busy hwy. and we have foxes, deer, Red Tail and Coopers Hawks, plus possums and probably coons, I've never seen any alive around my yard but I see them dead on the Hwy all the time. We also have tons of Feral Cats around and the occasional neighborhood dog that get off his chain. You can never be to careful. We have to keep ours locked up.

5. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
  6. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Urban and suburban living is not a guarantee from birds of prey. There are peregrine falcons in down town New York City.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, have falcons in down town Seattle too, and hawks sitting on light posts. City coons which you may not see are the absolute worse. They are 10x wittier and nastier than country coons and won't even hesitate to eat your birds at dusk or during the night.

8. Jacky'sMamma

Jacky'sMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Antelope, CA
    Quote:ooohhhh.... thanks! I smell a trip to home depot coming on!

Heather

9. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Don't feel bad about keeping your girls in their safe run. They may complain, but at least they're alive and you won't get an ulcer worrying about them.

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

There was a redtail that was nesting at Fenway Park.
    I've seen Goldens, a Merlin and a Redtail in my area. My DS saw a Bald Eagle alongside the Southeast Expressway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by