gasping and wheezing

222danette

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 5, 2014
So yesterday morning when I went out to feed, one of my girls was off by herself gasping and wheezing with every breath. I checked her throat and saw no foreign bodies or parasites. She was exhausted, closing her eyes at times. Every once in a while she sneezed, or something, and she had the slightest clear discharge from her nostrils (?). No discharge from her eyes or mouth. I googled her symptoms and posted a pic on local chicken fb group and got advice ranging from parasites to respiratory infection to something stuck in her throat or crop. It was Sunday, the only chicken vet I know of wasn't in. She lasted about an hour and then suffocated, and I was absolutely helpless. I need to know what I can do if this happens again. What meds do I need to keep on hand? Trying ANYTHING would have been better than standing by and watching her suffer.

I'm so sorry for your loss, that must of been really hard to watch :hugs I'm hoping an expert can share some noble advice on this. It's frustrating when your bird doesn't check all the symptom boxes for all the diseases and viruses out there:confused:

Back
Top Bottom