1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Gasping chick - but she is still eating and drinking

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pineywoods Peepers, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

I've got a little Delaware that was hatched 7/7 and arrived here on 7/9. The other chicks pecked her beak Friday eve until it was very raw looking. Yesterday morning she started gasping and was pretty lethargic. I hadn't expected her to make it through the day, but she actually looked better last night. She's still alive this morning and still gasping, and she is eating and drinking. Is there anything I can or should do for her?? None of the other chicks are exhibiting her symptoms. Should I separate her in case this is contagious? I was going to do that yesterday, but it really stressed her out, and I figured if she was contagious the other gals had already been exposed so I just left her.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Rachel

2. fishermans wife

fishermans wife Songster

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    I am fairly new at the chicken thing - but have read tons! The only thing I would suggest is giving the chick poly visol (no iron formula) baby vitamins 1-2 drops by beak every day (or put it in her water). It can' t hurt, and can really help with her strength and recovery. I just put it on the side of the beak and let them draw it in so it doesn't aspirate. You can buy it in the vitamin isle in any drug store typically - hopefully someone else with more experience can help further! Good luck!

3. Pineywoods Peepers

Thanks! I'll pick some of that up. She's still alive so far and looked okay a little while ago when I checked on them. She is still gasping but she seemed to not be gasping as badly and she seemed a little perkier. We'll see how she does tonight.

Rachel

4. newbie coops

newbie coops In the Brooder

Jun 20, 2008
    Northern New England
    put a couple of teaspoons of Avia Charge 2000 in her water and change the water every few hours. Keep her away from what's pecking her. Stop stressing and just do what you need to do to keep her alive.

5. fishermans wife

fishermans wife Songster

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    How is the chick today?? Sounds like she will be ok.... crossing our fingers! [​IMG]

6. Pineywoods Peepers

She's still withus, and she looks a lit better today. She is still gasping, but she is more alert today, and her croop looked pouchy, so she's eating too. I'm still trying to observe and not handle her too much as it stresses her. I'm becoming even more optimistic she may pull through.

Thanks, everyone!

Rachel

7. fishermans wife

fishermans wife Songster

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    These little dudes are heartier than we give them credit for sometimes!

8. Pineywoods Peepers

Well, Wheezy is still alive and kicking. And looking pretty good! The only way I can tell her from her sisters is the redness of her nose, and that's getting better and better every day. Here's a picture of her:

[​IMG]

I think this weekend while I'm home to monitor the situation I'm going to remove the barrier and let all the chicks comingle again.

Thanks for all the advice!

Rachel

9. QuinnP

QuinnP Songster

Mar 26, 2010
    Oregon
    maybe somebody farted in her vicinity. My boy rat can peel the paint off the walls with his farts!

10. Pineywoods Peepers

LOL That must've been some pretty potent flatulence, because she gasped for about a week! If that is the case, then I'm glad they're outside!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by