Gasping chicken still alive after 2 days - what now?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EggyErin, Mar 7, 2012.

1. EggyErin

EggyErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    N. Ga mountains
    I really expected her to die last night but she's still going. She's isolated and I've been able to watch her. I started the rest of the flock on oxy....line (sorry, bag's in the basement) and have been giving her a couple of drops at a time during the day. What else can I do??

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Did you check her mouth for gape worm? If no little red worms in mouth, she may have a respitory infection...... Tylan 50 injected under skin works best... But know if she survives she may spread it to others. Keep up supportive care.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Most likely it's a respiratory problem. Tylan 50 injectable will work as Chickenzoo mentioned.

4. EggyErin

EggyErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    N. Ga mountains
    No worms, thank goodness. It's definitely a respiratory infection. I'm still dosing with oxytetracycline and vit/min mix. I don't have any Tylan and no chance to get any now so I'll just keep on the current routine. She's doing better (knock on wood). When I dose her she gets stressed and has more trouble breathing but at least it's easier to get little squirts down her throat when her beak is open more. Poor thing. What do I do about food and water? I have water in her cage but I'm sure she's not drinking. How do I know when she's ready for food?

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Give her buttermilk mixed with scrambled egg to eat and no other feed/food til she regains her strength. Then mix in her regular feed with the buttermilk and scrambled egg for a few days. Then give her regular feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by