Gasping for breath

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kevo18, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Kevo18

Kevo18 New Egg

Nov 30, 2014
    Hi everybody can you help I have 3 grown up hens but one them always lays very tiny eggs but the other day there were no she'll on it at all the egg it self has been going on for a few months but this is now not the main problem I got up one they all came out and later the same bird was gasping for breath tail down not very well is there something wrong in side can I save it thanks kev

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is possible that she is an internal layer or suffering from egg yolk peritonitis. How does her lower abdomen feel? Ascites or fluid in the belly from EYP, liver or heart failure can cause labored breathing. Respiratory diseases and a fungal disease called aspergillosis from mold can cause gasping. If you haven't wormed her, then I would do that since some worms can affect breathing, and cause weakness. I would use a rubber glove, and feel inside her vent 1-2 inches just to check that she is not egg bound. Make sure that she is getting extra calcium in her diet by placing crushed oyster shell or crushed egg shells for them to eat free will.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  3. Kevo18

Kevo18 New Egg

Nov 30, 2014
    Hi thanks for the information I wll try the egg bound thing the thing is how do I wormher if she is not eating or drinking do I have to force water and food down her if I don't she will die anyway way

4. windy acre farm

windy acre farm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2015
    I dont think you can worn a sick animal

5. Kevo18

Kevo18 New Egg

Nov 30, 2014
    Any idea what I can do thanks

6. windy acre farm

windy acre farm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2015
    RIGHT ON THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE IS A LINK ALSO GOOGLE MY HEN IS GASPING FOR AIR SO SORRY FOR HER AND YOU...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by