gasping pullet, what's going on?

buffbuttercup

Songster
9 Years
May 3, 2010
Oregon
yesterday my 5+ month old brown leghorn pullet was gasping and sneezing/wheezing to the point that i was ready to cull her. her comb and wattles were turning purple, obviously due to some sort of oxygen deficit. i felt along her esophagus, felt no obvious obstructions. she was getting weaker and weaker, i had to be to work in 45 minutes so i put her in a box in the coop, and went for a shower and decided if she was still on the decline, i would end her suffering. when i returned, lo and behold, her head was up, color back, and 5 minutes later she hopped out and was on about her business.
fast forward to today, same time about too - same gasping. when she sneezes, she make a high pitches squeak. anyone know what the heck is going on here? i looked down her throat and saw no worms, etc. the other pullets are acting fine. i use pine pellets in the coop, and she is on layer feed.

any ideas? thanx.

oh good grief, her symptoms resemble those of avian flu the most. well, antibiotics tomorrow then. thanx, guys. this is my first flock, so this is all new to me!

the only antibiotics available at my feed store is duramycin - 10. i of course i was able to obtain proper dosage info via BYC, because BYC is awesome. i gave her some of the treated water with a syringe right away just to be sure she got a dose as soon as possible. today she is quiet, but not gasping super hard, pecking around but resting intermittently. we recently found a home for our rooster and i keep joking that she has a broken heart, as she was his chosen lady. we sure do miss him around here!!

as always, thank you everyone for your help and support!

fl.gif
hoping for a full recovery.

our sweet brown leghorn passed away this past saturday. she seemed to be on the mend, but just up and died on us. i even have pictures of her that very morning. poor baby, i wish i could have done more for her. she will be missed
sad.png

56235_spirits_and_chicks_040.jpg

RIP

Back
Top Bottom