gassey duckling...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fitz, May 22, 2010.

1. fitz

fitz Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    hi all, i have nine three wk old muscovy ducklings, they are all growing and eating very well except one... that one is now only a third of the size of his/her siblings and is not eating very well, its belley feels like a baloon and it hardly eats anything. Its head is 'gaunt', for a lack of a better term, with the eyes bulging out and barely any flesh on her face. What should i do? It still walks and runs with the rest of them, but when then eat it just stands there...

please help.

Thanks for your time!!

2. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    i wish i had an answer. here is a bump. i hope someone can help!!

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am wondering if its digestive system is impacted. Can you contact a vet or wildlife rehabilitator and find out what you might do? There are probably some things you may be able to give it. It could have a birth defect in its digestive tract, as well.

Will it take any food? Has it taken any food? It this within the last week, or from the start? There could be an infection - any clues from its feces?

4. fitz

fitz Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    first of all, thanks for all your reply!

It's been like that since birth, it does take in food but it seems that it can only take in very little, then it has to rest.

5. callducklover20

callducklover20 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Bonner Springs, KS
    Is it getting extra niacin, vitamins, and electrolytes? I give my babies hard boiled eggs mashed up, mashed frozen peas (dont use canned-too much salt), organic lettuce cut up tiny, brewers yeast for niacin and now I just started using electolytes thanks to the other members on here talking about it. None of these things will hurt to try, they are good for all growing babies. Im also using purina duck chow (finally found that at a feed store this year) instead of flock raiser now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by