Gassy Dog

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Hardy Hen, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Hardy Hen

Hardy Hen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    All of a sudden my 4 year old Border Collie has been farting non-stop. She just started today and won't stop. I don't know what to do. I haven't changed her diet at all but she just won't stop. I'm worried that she might be sick and she farts about every other minute. HELP!

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Check her stool, if it's loose she might have eaten something. I have very good luck with plain canned pumpkin when one of my dogs has tummy troubles. Just a little bit though...about 1/4 of a cup...the fiber in pumpkin helps. Just a thought...but it might help.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    is her tummy hard and bloated?...beware of bloat..it can kill a dog VERY quick...does she act like she has to vomit?(but nothing comes up)....is she restless?...if not...its just gas...[​IMG]..give her gas-X....lol.....

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Beano works dogs as well as husbands!! [​IMG]

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Prepare to let her out every 5 minutes until whatever it is clears her system. And, sorry for the pun, you might just leave her on papers until it all "passes". Watch her for serious distress though, and if it gets too scary, take her to the vet.

Has she been around other dogs recently? Could be any number of things. (one reason I don't like "dog parks")

Yup, hard, tight, bloated abdomen, as redhen says, is a SERIOUS danger sign! get to a vet asap, I lost a Standard Poodle to torsion. From doing his roll-over trick.

Monitor her carefully, collect any stool samples for the vet if needed, (bless baggies!) and good luck to the baby girl!

With any luck, she just found something interesting to eat outside. Or maybe somebody slipped her some leftovers and won't tell you.

Let us know how she's doing, ok?

6. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    Our problem isn't the dog but one of our calico cats!. I swear she does it on purpose! She will jump up in your lap and just sit there and rip them! Even to total strangers. And its really gross to. You can tell she knows she has done it! She is embarrssing around company!

7. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    Canned pumpkin is a wonderful thing!
    Here's a tip to use it daily-when you open a can of pumpkin, get two tbsp out and feed it, then put the remaining pumpkin in an ice cube tray and freeze. Overnite you can transfer to a ziplock! Feed it daily!
    They love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by