gathering eggs for hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ccrecelius, Jul 27, 2008.

1. ccrecelius

ccrecelius Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    How many days do you have to get an egg into an incubator after it is laid?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Up to 7 days to have a good hatch...then fertility starts to go down hill.....

3. ccrecelius

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    I really don't want to sound stupid here, but I really don't have a choice. I am ignorant about all of this hatching stuff, but I really want to learn. My neighbor told me that she was saving her eggs and that one of her friends were going to hatch them for her. She gets between 0 to 2 eggs per day. I think it took her over 12 days to gather the eggs. Now the person that is going to try and hatch them for her has had them for 2 days and they are not in an incubator yet. What do you think the chances are for any hatches?

4. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:Do you know where they are being kept, if they are being turned? 2 weeks sounds like a long time, she might not have a great hatch. If I am storing eggs I usually keep them in a room(basement or bathroom) that is humid, stay around 70* and I also turn the eggs a couple times a day so the yolk doesn't stick. Good luck!

5. ccrecelius

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    Thank you very much! I was wondering about that, she just told me that she was keeping them "at room temperature". I have no idea what that means!

6. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:Well if they are 2 weeks old, I wouldn't count on a 100% hatch, some may hatch though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by