'gathering' eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RoyalPayne, Sep 15, 2012.

1. RoyalPayne

RoyalPayne Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2012
    Need some guidence on gathering the eggs, time waited till candleing, then placement of eggs in incubator. What have you done, what would you change, do nots, etc.

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I collect my eggs, put it in a box and put it new a warm spot like next to refridge, or top of stove shelf. until they are ready to put in incubator. when candling I like to check them about the 6th day.

3. RoyalPayne

Jul 27, 2012
    Thank you! And after the 6th or 7th, or the egg shows not fertile, are they still good? I've left my eggs out for 1 or 2 days, then washed for sale, but never 6 or 7. What is the limit? Or does refridgeration stop the process, Kill the developing chick?

4. thebanthams

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Dont throw away if you see veins or spots. Throw away if you see blood rings. its a circle around the sac . when you say washed for sale? are you saying youre selling fertilized eggs? dont wash them. but to sell eggs to eat is ok to wash . I left my on counter the longest was 4 days. but I rather put in refridge as soon I collect eggs. I have heard people hatch refridgerator eggs. I havent try it myself. maybe someone will tell their story !

5. Interesting... I hear the norn is store at 55 F but not here, I don't think birds had Artifical atmosphere a hundred years ago and made it... We'll see, got 20 plus in the bator as we speak... day 3

6. RoyalPayne

Jul 27, 2012
    Thanks for the info. No, I don't sell fertilized eggs. Just wanted to know what to do with the ones that have been collected for 6-7 days and are not fertilized. I have 4 steady customers, and if I start collecting, and then throwing away unfertilized, eggs, I won't have enough to supply the customers. Just wanted to know if the unfertilized eggs were still good.

7. RoyalPayne

Jul 27, 2012
    True, I wonder if the eggs back then ever got chilled and then hatched. Maybe someone will have hatched chilled eggs, and let us know.

8. thebanthams

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Fertilized eggs are safe to eat. they keep fresh longer than unfertilized eggs !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by