Gator -new toy and update

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KDOGG331, Mar 4, 2014.

1. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Finally splurged and bought Gator a Kong toy, along with some treats to fill it, a pack of 2 Large Chuck-It tennis balls since we found a thrower at Saver and normal tennis ball is a tad small for it, and a clicker since we lost ours and haven't used one in months. He's in dog heaven. And was mad when i showed him it but then proceeded to rinse it off an put treats in. Hahah Put some treats in it and he got em out pretty quick (got one out, tried to get others then just took Kong on the couch and accidentally knocked it off, shaking the other and treat stick loose since they're both designed for medium or large and we got him the XXL power chewer. cheater.). So then I just put some more treats, 3 or 4 this time, the stick, a bit of ham, some of his cheese corn treats we already had, toppe it with Ricotta cheese and a tiny bit of vanilla Greek yogurt and more ricotta cheese (he turned his nose up at plain Greek yogurt and barely liked vanilla. He has a sweet tooth). Then I put another chese puff on top, a tiny bit of cinnamon icing scrapings from the cinnamon rolls we made last night and put a couple strands of spaghetti on top and put in the freezer a couple minutes ago. He's going to be in heaven tomorrow. I figured I'd give him more of a challenge cause he got the treats out within like 5 minutes and then didnt want to chew the Kong once the food was out so I gave him a bit more incentive. Lol now were gonna go work on reassociating the clicker with food and probably do 2 short sessions of that today or one today and 2 or 3 tomorrow since it's late and then well move on to a couple sessions of him being at attention/watching me before moving on to sit and coming when called. He already reliably sits most times and comes when called because we have an e-collar and he was already good at sit but I want to try more positive methods. The collar doesn't have to be negative but we've sort of accidentally made it that way and zapped him or running off or being bad, etc. usually though we only use the vibrate now with no electricity, except when he runs off, but still. My brothers sometimes yell at him when he doesn't sit right away/are more aggressive (don't hit h or anything but body language, getting in his face/space, especially my older brother) and honesty, he doesn't need that. And on walks, I tell him to come on and he changes direction and comes running. This is off leash or in woods but still. He doesn't new to be yelled at. Prime example, he went off in a small wooded area on walk last night, we were calling/yelling, brother buzzed him and he came back, he went to sniff something else, brother yelled at him, yelled at him o sit once we got near the road, etc., we come home and turns out, he didn't even have his collar on cause we forget to put it on and he came without being buzzed. He's a good dog and there is a time and a place for the collar, wouldn't ever take him off leash without it, especially near a road, BUTi don't think he needs it. My dad says there's a hole book and videos on doing it properly and not making it negativeC and there are, I just haven't read or watched, but I honestly think that he's a sensitive dog and doesn't need it. He doesn't like pai and I think we're making it worse I. Some instances. Again, it's great cause he's now better off leash than on and we could NEVER walk our other dog off leash cause we never had the collar so for some things it's great. And when he's down the road or at the pound and out of hearing range, he's not gonna just come running back. But my dad says oh did you read the book, it tells you how yada yada but then still zaps him when he doesn't come immediately. Usually he uses the vibrate first then zaps if a few buzzer rounds don't work but still. So long story short, I'm gonna work on clicker training and REWARDING when he's good instead of PUNISHING when he's bad and see what it does.

2. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I actually got home like an hour or two ago and did the clicker about 20-40 mins ago, 25 reps. He did great but I'm not sure he quite associated it yet cause towards the end, he would turn his head when I clicked, but his ears weren't perked up or anything. My brothers friend helped train him as a puppy and he perked up when we clicked, in one session, so idk. I guess I'll just keep trying. He's smart.

3. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Decided to give him the Kong now even though it was only in there 3 hours cause it's pretty frozen already and I don't want it to be too difficult for him the second/first time (second/first cause I put treats in earlier but they fell out easily). Plus he was just gonna tear apart a stuffed animal I gave him anyways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by