Gave 2 chicks to our broody hen...one died...can I replace it with a new one?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by arohli, Mar 12, 2012.

1. arohli

arohli Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    North Bend, WA
    Our Buff Orpington is constantly going broody, so we decided to get her a couple of day old chicks to mother. She took to them right away, and is so happy with her new duties. But, this morning I found one of the chicks dead in the coop. I don't know whether I can replace the lost chick, or will she reject it now that she's been mothering for a few days. I don't want to buy her a chick she won't accept. Anyone have any knowledge or experience on this matter? I'd really appreciate some advice! Thanks so much.

2. BroodCoop

BroodCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2012
    I would go for it. Broody chickens want babies.

We put 12 under our Cochin and she accepted those. They are two months old now. We are planning on putting six or eight under our Buf. She has six hatchlings and two more eggs yet to hatch.

3. RBOutdoors

RBOutdoors Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Does it matter how long she has been broody or can you give her chicks 12-15 days in?

4. arohli

Apr 14, 2011
    North Bend, WA
    Ours had been broody for maybe 17 days when we gave her chicks. She went straight into mommy mode when she heard the peeps coming from beneath her (we snuck the chicks under, and snuck out the eggs she was sitting on). I think as long as she has been sitting on eggs for more than a few days, they won't know the difference. Apparently, their maternal instincts kick in when they hear the sound of chicks.

5. arohli

Apr 14, 2011
    North Bend, WA
    Thank you! I'll be having hubby swing by the feed store for a new chick on his way home from work. Wish us luck!

6. MadabtChickens

MadabtChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO
    I'd recommend he get at least 2 new chicks so there's less of a possibility that this will happen again. Good luck!

7. arohli

Apr 14, 2011
    North Bend, WA

OK...DH is on his way home with 2 new chicks. A Welsummer, and a Giant Cochin. Keeping fingers crossed that "momma" will accept them! I'm nervous.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by